When most people travel to Italy for the first time, they usually visit the most famous cities: Rome, Florence, and Venice and who could really blame them, they’re magnificent cities filled with culture and beauty. However, this country has so many wonderful cities to visit so for those who have already visited these cities, here’s a list of great towns within Tuscany.
All of these cities are perfect day trips from Florence, the capital city of the Tuscany region of Italy.
1. Pisa: People travel worldwide to visit Pisa to marvel at the architectural building gone wrong, the Leaning Tower! This small city is only a quick hour train ride from Florence.
I enjoyed lunch at Osteria dei Cavalieri right in the heart of Pisa. The food was simple and delicious and service was great.
2. Livorno: This port city is just a little south of Pisa. It’s not the prettiest city but they are known for a famous seafood dish called cacciucco, a tomato based stew made with various types of fish and shellfish.
3. Lucca: This beautiful quaint city is surrounded by original Renaissance city walls. They also are known for hosting Europe’s largest comic book and gaming convention every October.
4. Carrara: Not far from Lucca, Carrara is famous for marble quarries. I was lucky enough to get a tour of one of these spectacular white marble caves.
5. Arezzo: This city is slightly further from Florence than the other cities I have previously mentioned. This charming town was featured in the famous 1997 Italian movie “La Vita è Bella” or “Life is Beautiful” which won three Academy Awards!
I ate at a delightful restaurant slightly outside the historic center called La Tagliatella.
5. Panzano in Chianti: This wine city is about half way between Florence and Siena surrounded by vineyards and gorgeous rolling hills. It’s the perfect place for any wine lover! I visited this cute town back in September of 2011 when there was a wine festival.
We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Antica Macelleria Cecchini serving Tuscan food. The restaurant is divided into three categories: Officina della Bistecca, Dario DOC, and Solo Ciccia each with their own menu.
6. Siena, San Gimignano, San Miniato, and Fiesole.
Here are a few other fantastic cities in Tuscany worth visiting. If you didn’t get the chance to read my previous post on Siena and San Gimignano, you can read it here. You can also read my previous post on San Miniato here and my Fiesole post here.
There are so many other amazing little towns in Tuscany that I still haven’t had the opportunity to see yet! If you have a favorite town not mentioned on my list, I would love to hear from you so don’t hesitate and comment below :).